PaySpree: An Affiliate Network That Pays Instant Commission On Every Product

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Forgivness in Marriage

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." (Col 3:12-14)

Forgiveness is critically important to the success of marriage.  Forgiveness is the only way to break the inevitable cycle of blame and pain in a marriage.  Two people living together are going to, at some point, get on each other's nerves.  A power struggle will emerge over a tit-for-tat issue: 
"I can't believe you didn't buy the cereal I like". 
"Wait a minute, aren't you supposed to be in charge of the groceries?"
"Don't try to pass the blame to me - you said you would buy it"
"Yes, but I told you to remind me."
"Why should I? It's your responsibility."

I am sure this sound too familiar - the conversation can go on and on until one of the partners says, "I am sorry, Will you forgive me?"

Marriage cannot last without forgiveness.  If you are looking for fairness and perfection, don't look for it in marriage.  Soul mates survive on forgiveness, not fairness.

Forgiving is a way of saying, "I am human.  I make mistakes.  I want to be granted that privilege, and so I grant you that privilege.  So wrap your marriage in forgiveness.  "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you" (Eph 4:32)



Rev Dr. Ronnie Ng

No comments: