PaySpree: An Affiliate Network That Pays Instant Commission On Every Product

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Psalm 91:1

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 91:1)

The psalms are full of vivid imagery and this is one of the best examples in Psalm 91. God is portrayed as a majestic mother bird whose large outstretched wings provide comfort and protection for the little chicks. Under those wings we find refuge and safety. This is not the only time in the Bible where the bird imagery is used.
 
In Exodus 19 God’s redemption is portrayed this way: “You have seen what I did to the Egyptians and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself.  Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples."

Even Jesus uses the imagery when he grieves over Jerusalem: Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing !” (Luke 13:34).

This psalm is about God’s ongoing care for us. God provides shelter, a home that provides comfort. God provides the shadow of the Almighty, the peaceful, calm presence in God’s care.

"He will cove you with his pinions, and under his wings, you will find refuge.  So this psalm highlights God's care and protection.  It also highlights our trust in God.  We entrust our lives to God's care.

 
All of us at some point face situations where we need to trust. Perhaps we face a serious illness. Or we find ourselves out of work or in work that is not enough for us. Perhaps our family life is turbulent right now. Or God seems silent in the midst of our troubles.

The psalmist encourages us: “Those who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust."

We are in God’s care. We abide in the shadow of the Almighty. Nothing will be able to separate us from God’s love. Amen.
 













No comments: