PaySpree: An Affiliate Network That Pays Instant Commission On Every Product

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

1 Fall And Many Lessons Learnt

On 9th Sep 2006 at 10.00 am, while cycling along Sembawang Drive, I hit the kerb and fell down from the bicycle. My left knee hit the concrete pavement and my head hit the grass patch. When my head hit the ground, I thought that was the end…..it would be serious. To my amazement, I felt a force holding my head and that the landing wasn’t that serious. I got abrasions on my face and head but unfortunately, the left knee was fractured and I could see the bone went in causing a depression.

My church friends who were behind me saw what happened and were shocked. Victor then called for an ambulance. I placed my hand on the injured knee and whispered a prayer to God. Next, I SMS my family members and colleague telling them of the accident and asking them not to worry.

The ambulance came shortly, and I was sent to the A&E department, Tan Tock Seng Hospital. Some waiting before the nurse enquired about my injury and wheeled me to the Observation Room. Subsequently an X-ray was done on me and confirmed that my left knee was fractured and that I needed an operation. I was admitted immediately and the operation was done on Tues, 12th Sep and I was discharged on Thurs, 14th Sep 2006 and given a month of hospitalization leave.

That was the first time I stayed in the Hospital and operation done on me. I have learnt many lessons during my stay:

1. I realized that life is a precious gift from God. One moment we are here and the next moment we may be gone. How close to death if my head hit the concrete pavement. I thank God for his mercy and grace in preserving my life. Although, I suffered pains from the wound and the numerous injections, I now realized and identified with those who are suffering from chronic diseases and those who are terminally ill. Each day must have been a struggle for them.

2. I learnt that operation could be a “scary thing”. Even as they wheeled you to the operation room and asked you several times about your name and NRIC No, it seemed that it might be your last call. I was unsure whether the operation was successful nor would I know for sure whether I could wake up. The moment before they knocked you out with “gas” was most frightening. I prayed to God to allow me to experience a “pleasant dream” during my operation. The next moment I woke up, I was on my way back to the ward. I had no dream whatsoever…..perhaps this was the “most pleasant” dream from God.

3. I learnt to appreciate the professionalism and sacrifices of the nurses and doctors. I thank them for their dedication and love for the patients. A profession that is often neglected and taken for granted.

4. I learnt that most patients would yearn for their friends and relatives to visit them. Ironically, they do not wish to “trouble anyone”, yet the visitations could mean a lot to the patients. The worst part that I experienced in the nights and wee hours of the morning….there was such a sense of loneliness…..as in not being with your loved ones.


5. I learnt that human being are inter-dependent. The care given from you loved ones, friends and colleagues are so crucial in moment like these. I was totally “immobile” and needed the nurses to serve me. I was helpless and dependent.

6. I learnt that the process of recovering required determination, discipline and will-power. I have to undergo a series of rehabilitation exercises and learn to walk again. That wasn’t easy as each exertion will cause pain.

7. I learnt that I have indirectly affected my colleagues and superiors as they would have to cover my duties on top of their own work. That’s really called for understanding and team work.

And the list could go on……..

No comments: